As I was preparing the lesson plan for Halloween, I found this perfect plan, by KPY! Thought it would be nice to share it with you, so you can move with your little pumpkins while at home!
It’s a Kidding Around Yoga Halloween this year! To open the class, I have the kids lay face down on their mats in Crocodile pose with their foreheads resting on their hands. When everyone is laying quietly with their eyes closed, I put on a black cape and purple witch’s hat. They are quite surprised when they open their eyes, except of course, the ones who were peeking! I have the pose names written on orange index cards (in order of list below). I show them the card and I/they read the name. Then I demo the pose and they do it with me. Next, they can show their own version of the pose.
I have a small, rubbery, bendy skeleton that I came across a few years ago. He sits in Lotus while we do our poses. I play Monster Mash, the original version from way back, for a few minutes.
While the poses move quickly, you might not get through the entire list, depending on the length of your class, especially if they get really creative with their ideas!
1. OWL – Reach across body to grab the back of shoulder, look at shoulder. Pranayama: Inhale through nose and exhale to make hooting sounds (do the other shoulder).
2. Scaredy Cat / Halloween Cats – Hiss, arch back. Meow when curling back up.
3. Moon – Reverse Warrior and Warrior 2 flow
4. Ghost or Mummy – floating arms – Pranayama: Inhale through nose, exhale ghost sounds! Repeat several times.
5. Wolf / Werewolf – on knees – Pranayama: Inhale through nose and exhale a howl.
6. Goblin – Make up their own pose.
7. Pumpkin Squats – Squat down and make a Jack-o-Lantern face.
8. Zombies or Frankenstein – Walk stiff legged with arms extended out.
9. Haunted Tree Pose – Creaky noises, windy night.
10. Bats – Flap down and back up
11. Wicked Witches – How do witches sound? Pranayama: Inhale through nose and exhale a cackle! Repeat several times.
12. Gate Pose & Reverse Gate – With lots of squeaks and creaks.
13. Vampire Bat – modified Shoulder Stand (Candle) – Bats sleeping upside down.
14. Fish Pose (after shoulder stand) – Stinky fish guts for black cats – ugh!
15. Scarecrow (or Skeleton) – “Mirror” your partner’s movements.
16. Spider – Partner Yoga – Back to back, move arms and legs.
17. Uncarved Pumpkin – In the Pumpkin Patch/farmer’s field (Child’s pose).