Monday, September 12, 2016

Corpse pose: the magic of savasana

A wonderful article on Savasana.


Yoga is called a practice for a reason—no class is perfect.
To really reap the benefits of your practice, they key is to remain acutely aware to present moment, rather than letting the mind wander. When your focus is on your breathing and how it feels to be in your body, that's when the magic of yoga begins to take shape. 

A class can either be a great chance to stretch or sweat or build strength, or serve as a transcendent experience as the mind and body move as one. This is a beautiful synchronized dance between conscious presence of the mind and an exploration of physical limitations, as you stretch your possibilities and explore your boundaries.

I had a particuarly beautiful Savasana at the end of a recent vinyasa class. When it came time for the final resting pose, I was feeling great. I had noticed near the end of the practice in Pigeon Pose, that I was feeling particularly open that day, in both the physical and mental sense. I was relaxed and comfortable. I was warm and limber. I was present and focused.

While in my Savasana, my usual thoughts escaped me. It’s a difficult experience to try and put into words, but it was just pure bliss. It made me realize what I love about Savasana at the end of a truly conscious, present practice, is that the moment of rest allows my mind and body to operate independently of one another.

The hour spent breathing and moving with the mind and body engaged in a partnership, is what allows you to come to a place of total relaxation. You surrender to the earth and it can feel as though your body falls asleep, which is entirely different from the way you fall asleep at the end of a long day. You physically relax into the ground, acutely aware of the heavy pull of gravity and allowing that to hug you in even closer. 

That's when the strange, difficult to describe bliss of Savasana starts to come in. It feels as though your body is your mind has just sung your body a bedtime lullaby. As the body begins to drift away to a blissful world of much deserved sleep, the mind remains awake. Mind gently places the body into bed, slowly extricating itself so as to not interrupt the body’s peaceful slumber. But instead of leaving the room, the mind has a moment, gazing lovingly at the body while it's sleeping peacefully––so vulnerable, yet beautiful. The mind takes in every curve, every line, every small nook and cranny of the body, recognizing the beauty in their connection as well as the body’s individual identity as separate from the mind.

While experiencing a particularly good Savasana, this is an approximation of how I’m feeling. It’s not quite an out of body experience, but I do notice an alertness in my mind as it begins an exploration, all while the body is quite heavy with rest. I feel like my mind is active, but that it couldn’t tell the body to move even if it wanted to. Instead of that being a scary feeling, it feels almost like a mental reset––a reminder of the separation between the two systems which work together to provide us with the experience of being a living, breathing, thinking person. When you begin to "wake" from Savasana, it's as though you're starting over, and are re-teaching your mind to control your body’s motor functions.
If you haven’t quite experienced what I’m talking, I assure you it will come. Yoga is a practice, and its gifts are equal to the care and presence you give to your practice. It is a reciprocal action/reaction, and what I find truly awe-inspiring is that there is no ceiling. Yoga will always be a practice, which means there is never-ending opportunity to learn.


Source: http://yoganonymous.com/corpse-pose-breaking-down-the-magic-of-savasana
Also www.soyoga.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment